Monday, April 22, 2013

Edible Color Sugar Glitter

"1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of food coloring, baking sheet and 10 mins in oven to make edible glitter...."



Ok, first off, just no. No. That's a photo of glitter. Just plan old glitter. Now, they do make professional sugar glitter for decorating cakes, but can you make it yourself with just plain sugar and food coloring? 

Ehh... sorta. You see, you can make your own colored sugar, it really is quite easy to do. Just follow the instructions above - food coloring, sugar, and bake at a low temp to help dry the sugar so it doesn't clump. But it's not going to look like glitter, it's going to look like colored sugar. In fact if you're interested, over at the blog The Sweet Adventures of Sugarbelle, she does a great write up on how to make your own color sugar for cookies, cakes and sweets, which you can read more here.




But this pin talks about edible GLITTER, which as pretty as colored sugar is, we can all agree doesn't look sparkly. So how can you get that high sparkle look at home? Not with your everyday sugar. You're best bet would be to buy some sparkling white sugar - which is larger crystals of sugar and not as fine, so it refracts light differently from the more finely ground table sugar. You can see a photo of sparkle sugar over there to the left. If you're feeling REALLY crafty you can even make your own, the same way you would make rock candy. Just boil some water and sugar, stir until well dissolved, add a stick to the jar... and then wait... about a week or so, until the water is gone and the sugar crystals have formed to the stick.  You could also, I believe, dye the sparkling sugar, but a quick search hasn't pulled anything up in regards to that. Since I'm not a baker (you know me and oven fires), sadly, I haven't any on hand to test, so I can't report on if it works well or not. 


So all in all, no, you can't make edible glitter at home with table sugar, food coloring and your oven. 



7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/12/13

    so this blog is completely your own opinion on what would happen or have you actually tried it out in which case your unsolicited advice would be just as bad as you would claim the original post to be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, I've tested a lot of these, and what I'm unable to test simple research can often times show they won't work. (such as the bleach to make a homemade glow stick pin) When possible I do test them, but when I can't I do try to source my research. In fact not only have I tested this, on another post, I share a photo and story of a fan of the blog tested this one as well and failed even worse than I did at it. If you really believe you can make sugar glitter at home and have it turn out like the pinterest image, I don't know what else to tell you other than nope, not going to work (since that really is just a photo of craft glitter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog! Everybody has a "Pinterest Fail" board for pins that have let them down and you built a whole blog around it. Very cool - you will save so many people time and money. Keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have find this article very informative and interesting it has very meaningful information that help me lot thanks.
    buy logo

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great blog even I have visited many articles but I didn't have seen anything like this:
    we surely can help you if you want to grow your business by web designing or logo d

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing!
    Such a helpful and great blog.
    Thank you very much for sharing it with us.

    Nursing Assignment Helpers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous27/9/21

    Thanks for share this valuable and fantastic info with us.

    Law essay help UK

    ReplyDelete